Holistic vs. Medical Fertility Treatment: Which Should You Choose?
In the past, western medicine had nothing to do with holistic or alternative approaches. Today, however, there seems to be an overlap in the two schools of thought. More and more fertility clinics are using a combination of traditional procedures and holistic treatments.
At Houston Fertility Center in Houston, TX, Dr. Sonja B. Kristiansen believes that both can offer benefits in their own way. Today, we will discuss holistic vs. medical fertility treatments, and explore the advantages of each.
Medical Fertility Treatments
Fertility drugs are the most common approach in the treatment of infertility. There are a variety of options depending on the specific needs of the patient. Some are administered as injections, while others are taken as pills.
Certain treatments involve hormone regulation within the body while others induce ovulation. These medical fertility treatments are successful for millions of patients worldwide. However, they can present symptoms such as headaches, hot flashes, depression, or breast or pelvic pain, among other things.
Medical Fertility Treatments Offered at Houston Fertility Center
The medical fertility treatment recommended for your case will largely depend on your health history, personal preferences, and other factors. Some of the most common treatments offered at our practice include:
- In-vitro fertilization: During this process, the ovaries are stimulated, and eggs are collected. The eggs are then combined with sperm and placed in an incubator. After three to five days, the embryologist will transfer the healthiest-looking embryos to the uterus.
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI): To increase the chance of pregnancy using IUI, sperm are collected, washed, and then concentrated before injecting them directly into the uterus.
- Egg donation: Women who are older, or who have experienced premature ovarian failure or other ovarian issues, can benefit from an egg donor. Once the eggs are collected from the donor, the remainder of the process is just like IVF.
- Sperm cryopreservation: Men who wish to preserve their fertility can freeze their sperm for future use.
Holistic Fertility Treatments
The central focus of holistic therapy is to acknowledge that the body is an interconnected system, and then treat it as such. The primary objective is to identify the root cause of infertility, then address it accordingly.
A few of the most common treatments include the use of herbal prescriptions, supplements, or bio identical hormones as an alternative to pharmaceuticals. There is also more emphasis placed on diet and nutrition.
Holistic Treatments Offered at Houston Fertility Center
Dr. Sonja B. Kristiansen is a proponent of holistic therapies as well as western medicine. At our practice, we offer:
- Acupuncture: Believed to enhance fertility, acupuncture involves strategically inserting ultra-thin needles at specific points in the skin.
- Massage therapy: Fertility massage supports proper function of the reproductive organs by improving circulation, repositioning the uterus, and even enhancing the body’s absorption of nutrients.
- Nutritional counseling: Because overall health and body weight play significant factors in fertility, we offer nutritional counseling to all of our clients.
When it comes to holistic vs. medical fertility treatment, the ultimate answer is not found in one or the other, but in a combination of both. Before undergoing any type of holistic or alternative therapy, it is a good idea to discuss it with your fertility specialist first.
At Houston Fertility Center, we can help you design a personalized treatment plan to meet your needs and preferences.
Contact Our Office for More Information
If you are considering fertility treatments, find out how conventional western medicine and holistic treatments can provide you with a comfortable and successful experience. To schedule a consultation at our practice, contact us online or call us at one of our two office locations.