Traveling the Other Direction for Fertility Treatment
Medical tourism is growing, and for United States residents, the promise of less expensive fertility treatment is one of the reasons why. But not everyone who travels for fertility treatment is flying from here to there. Some are coming here, to Houston Fertility Center.
A new report commissioned by UK-based medical tourism site, Treatment Abroad, reveals where people are going and why. Traveling to other countries for fertility treatment has become more popular in the UK because of tight government restrictions on who can access varying types of fertility treatment. Among the more than 1,000 European patients who took part in the study, 4 percent were seeking treatment for infertility. The most popular destinations for those patients were Spain, Cyprus, and the Czech Republic. The biggest reason cited? To avoid waiting lists for treatment in their home countries.
The U.S. gets bonus points for leaving questions about treatment access up to physicians and patients, not government agencies. Still, patients from America are also finding reasons to bundle up their vacation time and fertility treatment cycles, sometimes flying to the other side of the world to try and achieve pregnancy. But as this article in the International Medical Travel Journal reported in 2009, more and more Americans are traveling to... other states in the U.S.
We often have patients from other states and regions of the world, including Mexico, South America, and even Scandinavia. Their reasons? When they combine all the factors -- sophistication of medical care available and all costs involved in fertility treatment -- coming to Houston Fertility Center makes the most sense.
Houston is a great place to visit, and here's why:
- Two large airports and a central U.S. location make flying here relatively inexpensive.
- Big city culture and amenities -- thriving arts community, world-renowned restaurants and shopping -- yet neighborly friendliness abounds.
- It's just a quick drive to the Gulf Coast for fun on the beach.
- Our weather is usually moderate (maybe not so much in summer, but every place you go has great air conditioning!)
- The cost of living is lower than in nearly every other big city in the States, so visitors find savings in accommodations and travel around town.
When you match all of Houston's benefits with Houston Fertility Center's locations, highly experienced staff, state-of-the-art laboratory, and variety of patient discounts, it makes a lot of sense to come this way for fertility treatment. And you won't even need to learn a new language.
~ Dr. Sonja Kristiansen M.D.